Thursday, April 23, 2015

Leaving my Mark...









Everyone aims to leave their mark on the world. Well, maybe not "world" world, as in the entire world, but on the world of those that matters, be it your families', friends', those you want to impress, the profession you are in, or even if you've only wanted to impress your own self.

I've always wanted to leave a mark in the legal world. Its partly the reason I chose to do my pupillage in the firm that my lecturer recommended was the best in terms of learning about the law (from her registrar days) and also the most challenging. I took up that challenge to see if I could hack it. But don't get me wrong, it's not about being the best. The "best lawyer in town" label simply is of little value or desire to me. It's about being the best I can be. I can't really proclaim that I've made my mark, or that I'm now a famous lawyer. I'm not. and that's not the aim.

But I've always had the firm (heh.. heh) target to become a partner of a law firm or set up on my own once I have 7 years of experience. That's always been the magical number for me. So I've put in the hours, worked my socks off. And now the time has finally come. Sometimes, it seemed like I'd never get there. But now it feels as if time had moved so fast from my chambie days. Why the need for a law firm though? Well, to me, that's to be answered in a different post. But after events in my life which has caused me to take stock of my own mortality and future, I decided that I needed the flexibility, the freedom and the adventure of my own law firm.

Technically, I've not had 7 years of experience yet. That's coming in November. So it's a few months early, but it's here. Am I ready? Can I stand comparatively with the rest?  

I'm here to find out.

But do I believe in my own self to proudly plaster my own name?

Ho yeah. Never in doubt.

So this is it. This is me leaving my mark. Well, it's the start.



2 comments:

  1. You are truly a goal-oriented person and I like that. I like what you said that you wanted to leave a mark in the legal world, and I think that's a really good thing to accomplish for. Having your own law firm is challenging at first because you will have to think of ways on how to establish it, plus the budget that you need to get it started, but I'm sure that you will reach far with the right amount of hardwork and determination. I wish you good luck for the next 3 months, and I hope to hear about its progress soon! :)

    Cristobal Preston @ Pravati Capital

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Cristobal Preston!

    I missed your comment because I've not checked in on here since my last post in err.. June! I have no idea how you found this blog but thanks for leaving a comment! Your words of encouragement are very.. uhm.. encouraging. Stay tuned for more exciting updates soon!

    DUM DUM DUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete

Khubayb : What's that mean?

Someone asked me what my name Khubayb, meant. Khubayb literally means ' He who runs fast' or a 'fast walker', although I pr...